- This event has passed.
Castle Hill Trail Run
February 23 @ 5:00 am - 10:00 am$12 – $30
The first run in the Outer Limits Trail Running Series 2020: The Castle Hill Trail Run. This event, being early in the the year, is designed to get people into trail running and utilise Townsville biggest icon. The race starts and finishes from the West End State School and the course will cover the trails on the western side of the hill. The trails will not be closed to the public but we will not be using the popular “goat track”. The race has a 3km course for beginners and kids up to a tough 9km for the more experienced runners. This event will offer a great trail running experience right on your front door step.
Download the Athlete Guide here
When: Sunday 23rd February 2020
Sign in opens from 5:30am. You will be required to sign in on time and be allocated a race number. Pins will be provided (or you can bring a race number belt).
Where: Castle Hill – West End State School
Parking: Parking is available from Lamington Road and Wilson Street. Please park in an orderly fashion and be considerate of local residents.
Min age to participate in our events is 8 years.
3km: Early Bird $16 (before 12th Jan) | General Entry $18 (before 15th Feb) | Late Entry $24 (starts 16th Feb)
6km: Early Bird $21.50 (before 12th Jan) | General Entry $24 (before 15th Feb) | Late Entry $30 (starts 16th Feb)
9km: Early Bird $26.50 (before 12th Jan) | General Entry $30 (before 15th Feb) | Late Entry $36 (starts 16th Feb)
Juniors (under 16) only pay $12 General Entry (until 15th Feb) | $18 Late Entry (16th Feb-closed)
The start will be a wave start format with self seeding. The faster runners will start first and the slower runners follow 15min later. This will help to prevent bottlenecks along the trail and faster runners becoming stuck behind slower runners.
9km Slog – Start times: Fast runners: 6:30am | Medium runners: 6:35 | Slower runners: 6:40am
6km Scurry – Start times: Fast runners: 6:50am | Medium runners: 6:55 | Slower runners: 7:00am
3km Scramble – Start times: Fast runners: 7:15am | Medium runners: 7:20 | Slow runners: 7:25am
Presentations: 9:00am * or when first runners are finished
Categories & Awards:
Juniors (under 16) | 16-29yrs | 30-39yrs | 40-49yrs | 50-59 yrs | 60+yrs
- Top 3 Male & Female for each distance are awarded at presentation
- Top 3 junior boys and girls (short distance only) are awarded at presentation
- 1st place in age group for each distance (excluding top 3 winners) will be contacted after the event
Mandatory Gear: There is no mandatory gear for the run. We will have marshals on the course and first aid available. It will be hot, so please consider taking water with you. It is a good idea to take a mobile phone with you. We do recommend to download the app Emergency +
Water: There will be 1 water point on the course but no cups available. You should carry enough water to complete the race.
Facilities: Toilets are located at the race HQ, West End State School. It also has plenty of shade and covered areas for friends and family not running.
The Course: The 3 courses will be clearly marked with pink tape, signage, arrows and caution tape. Each track junction will have a sign with directions on which way to go depending on which distance you are completing. There will also be course marshals at each significant turn. The course will loop and criss cross it’s way through the trails all over Castle Hill. It is dry and rocky, we recommend trail shoes (these are not essential). The course will climb part way up and back down the side of the hill so be prepared for some challenging sections.
3km course – Starts flat along a trail above the cemetery, then along the Maidenhair Track, it then turns left up a trail and down the Dianella Trail and back along Maidenhair Trail to the finish. To download the GPX file, please follow this link here.
6km course – Around the hill, along Maidenhair Trail, through suburban West End, up the Iron Bark Trail down the road, taking a right turn past the water tank, up the Cudtheringa Trail, down the Goat Track and back around Maidenhair to the finish. To download the GPX file, please follow this link here
9km course – Along Maidenhair, through suburban West End, up a short section of lower Iron Bark, past the SES and over to West Ridge Trail, up West Ridge, across the road, past the water tank, then up Cudtheringa trail, down the Goat Track and back around along Maidenhair to the finish. To download the GPX file, please follow this link here.
Merchandise: There will be Outer Limits merchandise and race nutrition for sale
Refreshments: Luke from The Precinct Fresh Market will provide fresh fruit at the finish line. The Feel Good Foodie will make sure you get your caffeine hit and they will have their food for purchase. There will be cold water and electrolytes at the finish line.
Safety: The trails include sections of challenging and technical single track, be sure to exercise caution on these sections. If you DO NOT FINISH the race you must see a race volunteer and contact race HQ. It will be hot so please take precautions to stay safe in the heat.
Rules & Regulations: In order for the event to run as smoothly as possible we need all participants to cooperate and stick to our rules and regulations, please read through the points below:
- No rego, No run! – We do not offer registration on the day and most our events sell out in advance. Please check with us before coming to the event unregistered.
- Visible BIB number – Please make sure your bib number is clearly visible (front of shirt) when crossing the finish line, this ensures the correct detection of your bib chip by the electronic timing system. The bib can not be covered by clothes or bags, this might cause the timing chip to not be picked up by the antenna at the finish line.
- No shortcuts – please stick to the marked track, for safety and fairness reasons. All courses are clearly marked and we have marshals out on the course
- Fitness level – please choose the right distance according to your fitness level! Many of our courses are a bit more technical and running on trail will take you approximately twice as long as running the same distance on road. Our trail run events are not designed to be walked, especially not the longer distances. If you have any questions in regards to choosing the right distance according to your ability, please feel free to contact us.
- Trail etiquette: please do not litter along the trail. Make sure to use the toilets at start and finish line. There will be no toilets on the course, please help us keep our National Parks clean and tidy.
- Dress Code – please wear appropriate clothing, including pants, shirts and suitable running shoes
- Please read through our Cancellation and Refund Policy
October 25 @ 7:00 am - 12:00 pm