- This event has passed.
Paluma Dam Good
October 25, 2020 @ 7:00 am - 12:00 pm$12 – $54
Paluma Dam Good Trail Run
The final run in the Outer Limits Trail Run Series 2020.
We keep the best for last. The Paluma Dam Good Trail Run is our favourite event in the series. It features amazing trails, taking you through the World Heritage listed rainforest in the southern part of the Wet Tropics. This time of the year, Paluma is a great escape from the heat in Townsville. Situated at over 900m, the Paluma Range is cooler then the coastal region and it makes for great trail running in October.
Race HQ, start and finish for all distances is at the village green in Paluma. There is an array of trails around the village, crossing creeks, passing water falls and lookouts.
Registration opens 1st January 2020
Download the Athlete Guide here (we are currently updating the athlete guide, available soon)
When: 25th October 2020
Getting there: Paluma is a 90 minute drive from Townsville. Please arrive at
least 30 minutes before the start of your event to sign in and receive your race number. There is always the possibility of an earlier start, so make sure you arrive prior to the scheduled starting time. Please be careful driving up the Paluma Range.
Parking: Please park in an orderly fashion around the village green or along the main road.
Camping: If you wish to camp at the Paluma Dam you need to book via the Townsville City Council website
Paluma Environmental Education Centre: dorm style accommodation with bunk beds. You need to bring a sleeping bag and pillow.
Cost is $40 for the night per person
6km: Early Bird $32.50 | General Entry $ (starting 5th Sep) | Late Entry $35 (starting 18th Oct)
10km: Early Bird $38 | General Entry $42 (starting 5th Sep) | Late Entry $48 (starting 18th Oct)
20km: Early Bird $43 | General Entry $48 (starting 5th Sep) | Late Entry $54 (starting 18th Oct)
Long Course 20km – 8:00am start
Intermediate Course 10km – 8:30am start
Short Course 6km – 9:00am start
Mandatory Gear: Required for the 10km and 20km course. There is no mandatory gear for the 6km run. We have marshals on the course, a vehicle and first aid available.
Mandatory gear checks for 12km and 18km will be done at check in
- 2x compression bandage
- a fully charged phone (there is limited service along the course). Please download the Emergency+ app on your phone and familiarise yourself with it
- a whistle
- an emergency blanket
- sufficient hydration and nutrition
There will be a mandatory gear check when you sign in. You must be carrying these items in order to participate in the run.
Categories & Awards:
Juniors (under 16) | 16-29yrs | 30-39yrs | 40-49yrs | 50-59 yrs | 60+yrs
- Top 3 Male & Female for each distance are awarded at presentation
- Top 3 junior boys and girls (short distance only) are awarded at presentation
- 1st place in age group for each distance (excluding top 3 winners) will be contacted after the event
Presentation: Presentation will be held at approx. 11am
The Course: Paluma is part of the Wet Tropics area and so it is wet most of the year. The course is very technical with mossy rocks and slippery tree roots. You will encounter tricky creek crossings and trees over the track. You may also find a few leeches on the course, and maybe a snake or two (they’re pretty friendly). For more information on the area please visit the National Parks website.
If you are not comfortable in the bush it is suggested to run with a buddy. These trails are very remote and deep in the rain forest. We will do our best to have as many marshals on the course as possible and it will be well marked. It is always safer to run with someone, however it is not mandatory and in the short and intermediate courses there should be plenty of other runners around you.
Due to the technicality of the course it will take considerably longer than you would run the same distance on the road, so ensure you take adequate food and water to cover you for the duration you expect.
Water: Outer Limits will have some nutrition available for purchase at the event, this includes, gels, energy bars and electrolytes. The only water on the course is from natural running sources, so take appropriate purification means, drink the water at your own risk (Sam does) or carry sufficient for the entire course. A map of the course will be available for viewing at the start of each event.
Facilities: There are toilets located at the Race HQ
Lunch: A bbq lunch will be provided by the Paluma Community Group at the end of the race, free for race participants.
6km course map
6km course elevation
10km & 20km course map (note the 10km course does the bottom loop anti clockwise)
10km & 20km course elevation (1okm is second half only)
Rules & Regulations: In order for the event to run as smoothly as possible we need all participants to cooperate and stick to our rules and regulations, please read through the points below:
- No rego, No run! – We do not offer registration on the day and most our events sell out in advance. Please check with us before coming to the event unregistered.
- Visible BIB number – Please make sure your bib number is clearly visible (front of shirt) when crossing the finish line, this ensures the correct detection of your bib chip by the electronic timing system. The bib can not be covered by clothes or bags, this might cause the timing chip to not be picked up by the antenna at the finish line.
- No shortcuts – please stick to the marked track, for safety and fairness reasons. All courses are clearly marked and we have marshals out on the course
- Fitness level – please choose the right distance according to your fitness level! Many of our courses are a bit more technical and running on trail will take you approximately twice as long as running the same distance on road. Our trail run events are not designed to be walked, especially not the longer distances. If you have any questions in regards to choosing the right distance according to your ability, please feel free to contact us.
- Trail etiquette: please do not litter along the trail. Make sure to use the toilets at start and finish line. There will be no toilets on the course, please help us keep our National Parks clean and tidy.
- Dress Code – please wear appropriate clothing, including pants, shirts and suitable running shoes
- Please read through our Cancellation and Refund Policy
Paluma Adventure Centre SPECIAL
The Outer Limits Adventure Centre will be open on Saturday and Sunday and we are offering a special for all juniors who book in on either day and they will receive a free entry to the trail run on Sunday.
Children (up to 14 years) $20 – they receive a free entry to the trail run
Saturday, 24th October 10:00-13:00 | 13:00-16:00
Click here for bookings
Join us on Saturday evening for a dinner under the stars, RSVP essential.